Monday, July 27, 2009

There is no "I" in team.

At our daily 3 hour dinner last night whilst in Corsica, I was told that my two present cousins, Bernard et Marie-Christine, just celebrated their forty-sixth anniversary! 46th! Shocked, I then asked my Great-Aunt, Ta Ta Mauricette, how long she had been with her husband before he passed a few years back. "A month shy of fifty years," she told me. My Grandma then said that had my Poppy Jack not passed the year I was born, they would have been together for—wait for it...sixty-six years! I almost chocked on my vin rouge. YES, my grandma was just seventeen when she married and they had made it all the way through. Unfathomable! My sister remarked that she wants to marry someone for the rest of her life, too (I mean, it's not like anyone goes into a marriage saying "Okay, for the next 4.5 years, you're mine, then adios!" but I digress). Me? Not so much. I mean, sure, maybe a "life partner," whatever that truly means. But I never saw myself walking down the aisle. I want a kid, maaaaybe two, but not really a husband. Men are just too much trouble, if you ask me. I really cannot envision myself in forty years with the same dude. I can't even stay with someone more than a few months if it's really committed, without going crazy. I always seem to lose myself when I've been in serious relationships for some reason. Maybe it's the men that I've chosen to date, maybe not, but I want to be me with a man, not who he thinks I am. So, in light of this, I have decided to create a list of things I love about being single versus being attached.
Wild & Free:
the ability to go from guy to guy to guy to...hah!, going out with the girls whenever I want, getting to hang out with the guys all of the time without having someone complain that I have "too many men in my life," dressing up to get the attention of the entire club, being myself and not having to change for somebody, not having to deal with his family and inevitably, his sure to be crazy mother!, acting like a total girl while waiting for his call and then having too much fun picking out the perfect outfit for date night...
Significant Other:
having somebody to curl up with on a rainy sunday, having a constant dinner companion, not having to shave my legs everyday, knowing he will be there no matter what the situation is, taking a quick romantic getaway or vacation in a luxurious suite...
There are obviously pros and cons of the single life and being in a relationship, but for now I'm really so happy to not have anybody to answer to. I've had to do that two too many times in my young life and I'm so over it! In 65 years, I'd rather be toasting to me and all of the lucky bastards I've met along the way :)
bisous, bisous!
little monster

No comments:

Post a Comment